After more than 5 years it is time to say good bye and this blog shuts its doors.

Thank you very much for all your support through out this time.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Norine Braun 2013 Coventus The Eye Of The Heart

Norine Braun is an award winning artist (Los Angeles Music Awards, Artists For Literacy) who has a slew of festival appearances under her belt. She caught me off-guard with her gritty and wise track "99%", whose poetic lyrics pay tribute to the Occupy movement. The song was just nominated for Best Country/Jazz/Blues/AC Song for the 2013 RightoutTV Music and Video Awards.



Bio:

Canadian artist Norine Braun bridges the gap between a singer-songwriter and a rock and roll performer with her new release Conventus The Eye of the Heart. Norine Braun's music falls somewhere in between the intimate, heartfelt approach of folk and the energy of pop, roots rock, just as if Joni Mitchell, kd lang and Colin James would join Patti Smith and Prince for a jam, somewhere in the vast wilderness of the Canadian landscape.

Her music blinks an eye to the past, while firmly looking forward, blending timeless elements such as blues, rock, funk and country and presenting them to the audience with a freshness and balance that are in tune with today's sensibilities.

Norine's diverse approach to songwriting and her prowess as a heartfelt performer are the fundaments of her solid reputation within her local scene, and beyond: This talented artist received recognition from events such as L.A. Music Awards, The Best Female Musicians Magazine and many more.

Ever the chameleon, hardworking DIY Norine Braun is set to release her ninth studio album, adding to her impressive and prolific catalogue. "Conventus The Eye of the Heart", an inspired piece of music centered around the concept of "unions", something that affected Norine's life in several disguises. Vancouver’s finest musicians have joined her again on the musical journey for Conventus. Adam Popowitz has produced, engineered and performed guitar and bass on Conventus, Elliot Polsky performs on drums and percussion, Alice Fraser performs on keys and Huggybear Leonard performs on blues harp and penny whistle.

Emotional, heartfelt and eclectic: Norine Braun in 3 words. "Her voice has the viscosity of a jazz crooner, the elegance of a gospel singer, and the heart of a folk or blues artist." Bryan Rogers

About her latest release, Norine says "Conventus The Eye of the Heart is my new and ninth album born out of life’s unions and struggles. The past couple of years I encountered many unions in different disguises. I was diagnosed and cured of colon cancer. As I lay in my hospital bed last January, I listened to my roughly recorded demos of these songs and I let them show me the way to health. Music was a healing activity that held my interest and focus in my recovery.

This past year I also embraced a most magnificent union. I married my partner of 25 years on Halloween 2012 the anniversary of our first meeting. I watched my partner's mother dementia advance and witnessed a great love and strength as we moved through this life transition. I looked at the union in my own family of origin relationship and how my life’s journey as an adoptee has greatly shaped who I am. All of these unions, union of self and body, self and spirit, family union, union of love and marriage are found in the creation of these songs and my new album.

This music is not only my story, it’s also your story in fact it’s our story, it’s everybody’s story. We have all known someone who felt lonely, defeated, betrayed, rejected, scared, and yet found the strength to get back up, fight and win. We all know when we find that union with someone, something or within ourselves we can overcome and celebrate and cherish everything. This is what Conventus is about for me. Conventus is a celebration of union and of life".

Norine's new full-length CD "Coventus The Eye Of The Heart" follows Norine's songwriting journey through life-threatening disease, a death in the family, new beginnings and the celebration of life. It's about as honest and lyrically strong as roots/blues rock gets. I hope you enjoy the album!

Artists:

Norine Braun: vocals and guitar
Adam Popowitz: lead guitar and bass
Elliot Polsky: drums and percussion
Alice Fraser: keys
Huggybear Leonard: blues harp and penny whistle



web

bandcamp

facebook

twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...